- Curate homepages during a key digital daypart. Gather, edit, package and publish local news content on NBC 5 and Telemundo Chicago’s websites, mobile apps and social media
- Produce breaking news events across multiple platforms by collaborating with assignment desk, reporters, news staff and independent sources
- Update, monitor and respond as the voice of NBC 5 and Telemundo Chicago on social channels
- Use social media to quickly and effectively report news, find news sources and leads for stories, and engage our audience
- Create multimedia content to enhance daily news coverage (i.e. video, live streams, slideshows)
- Produce all news sections of the websites, including the homepage, and contribute to local franchises.
- Assist in managing a group of regular contributors to the websites
- Write text articles, publish video clips from our shows and edit image galleries according to the local editorial voice
- Execute all publishing workflows for video, images and text, including publishing to social media platforms
- Enforce editorial style guides, standards and practices
- Identify buzz-worthy stories of the day and engage our local audience across multiple platforms
- Solicit user-generated content to enhance both on-air and online news coverage
- Coordinate with news producers to cross-promote on-air and online content
- Be an advocate for NBCChicago.com and TelemundoChicago.com in the newsroom and beyond
- Must have professional experience in a newsroom for a minimum of 1.5 years
- Must be a skilled writer with outstanding communication skills.
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered a candidate for this position
- Working knowledge of content management and video editing tools
- Writing experience for a news outlet for a minimum of a year
- Proficient in speaking and writing in English and Spanish
- Blogging, wire service, newspaper rewrite or 24-hour cable news background
- Experience with social media, editing video and creating slideshows
- Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment
- Excellent editing, writing and management skills, as well as experience in telling stories through videos, photos and multimedia packages
- Knowledge of the Chicago area and experience in broadcast newsrooms, local news or other news arena is a big plus