UnidosUS, previously known as NCLR (National Council of La Raza), is the nation’s largest Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization. Through its unique combination of expert research, advocacy, programs, and an Affiliate Network of nearly 300 community-based organizations across the United States and Puerto Rico, UnidosUS simultaneously challenges the social, economic, and political barriers that affect Latinos at the national and local levels. For 50 years, UnidosUS has united communities and different groups seeking common ground through collaboration, and that share a desire to make our community stronger. For more information on UnidosUS, visit www.unidosus.org or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Communications Manager is charged with elevating UnidosUS’s voice and mission, leveraging the organization’s involvement in issues such as education, health, criminal justice, the economy, civil rights and immigration policy, and institutional events. This position requires a dynamic communications professional who has a passion for working in a team environment to build and brand the organization as a leader in issues that affect the Latino community. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Communications and will be responsible for producing strategic communications plans and executing those plans in a timely and professional manner that produces tangible results. The Communications Manager should understand the multi-faceted strategies in the component and the individual will play a central role in the work of the Communications and Marketing team. Will also work closely across the broader Communications and Marketing component, including the area of digital and social media, editorial, marketing, graphic design, and events.
• Assist in developing and implementing the organization’s strategic goals through the development of strategic communications plans across various UnidosUS components.
• Identify and create new opportunities for greater media exposure for UnidosUS in assigned issue areas.
• Develop strategic communications plans to further the work within assigned issue areas.
• Develop related media materials including, but not limited to, press advisories and releases, opinion editorials, letters to the editor, blog pieces, social media content, and more.
• Conduct outreach to media related to upcoming UnidosUS events and press conferences (media pitching).
• Deliver end-of-program reports that recap activities, results and metrics, as outlined in original plans.
• Continue to develop and maintain working communication with journalists, reporters, bloggers, and other members of the media.
• Identify and propose ways to amplify earned media opportunities/placements across UnidosUS social media and other owned platforms.
• Support and work closely with fellow staff to increase interdepartmental collaboration that will help to increase the effectiveness of the component’s work to elevate UnidosUS media exposure.
• Provide strategic advice and guidance to counterparts in assigned issue areas.
• Work with media to tell the UnidosUS story, highlighting its connection to the community and Affiliate Network, combat negative stereotypes and misperceptions about the Latino community, and hone in on the positive work and accomplishments of Hispanics in the United States.
• Work with programmatic and policy staff within focus issue areas to help promote their work and get essential information out to the Latino community through media sources.
• Work with the Deputy Vice President of Marketing and Communications and the Assistant Director of Communications to help track and administer the work of the department including the production of quarterly reports, the updating of the daily calendar, and the Communications work plan.
• Conduct (in conjunction with other appropriate Communications staff), media training of UnidosUS spokespeople. QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English or a related field, with 5-7 years of relevant work experience required. • Interest in, and general knowledge of UnidosUS/Latino community issues, programs, and constituencies required.
• Must have knowledge of best practices for concise and effective writing and editing.
• Must have experience using content management systems; such as Cision media database.
• Experience with working with the media, both proactive and reactive outreach that results in new media relationships, contacts, and placements (general market and Hispanic market).
• Knowledge of legislative process and how the news media/cycle works.
• Strong writing and editing skills, including strong knowledge with AP and Chicago style.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to provide responsive, personable, and informed support to UnidosUS writers.
• Comprehensive fact-checking habits.
• High degree of initiative and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, under tight deadlines and with minimal supervision.
• Ability to remain an active team member, even while working independently.
• Willingness and ability to travel occasionally.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability preferred.