The Head of Government Relations will have strategic oversight of, and responsibility for, crafting and sustaining Match Group’s global public policy operations. You will be responsible for the development and execution of government relations strategies and the day-to-day management of the government relations at the state, federal, and global levels. This role entails the management of a network of global government affairs consultants, advisors, industry associations and external lobbyists and political operatives. This position reports to Match Group’s General Counsel and Secretary with frequent interaction with the Match Group leadership team, and will be based in Washington, DC
This role requires significant experience with government and regulatory agencies, political affairs, public policy, management, and industry affairs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead and develop internal government relations staff (currently 1 head in Paris);
- Hire and manage external lobbying team and work with internal and external communications team;
- Manage industry and trade association memberships;
- Implement a program to oversee Match Group’s political giving efforts;
- Supervise external policy communications;
- Build and maintain political and industry relationships; and
- Work seamlessly with the company’s Legal Leadership Team.
- Bachelor’s degree required; law degree preferred.
- Deep experience with the policymaking process in Washington, DC, Brussels, and state and local governments with a strong record of leading and delivering effective results;
- Proven management and leadership skills, including evidence of crafting and successfully executing significant public-policy campaigns;
- Outstanding judgment and critical thinking with the ability to assimilate various points of view in making strategic decisions about the direction of the company’s overall government affairs programs;
- Effective public speaking and presentation skills;
- Extensive public affairs experience, ideally with Capitol Hill or equivalent experience;
- Experience integrating public policy with business strategy;
- Experience managing lawyers, lobbyists, and other political professionals;
- Excellent judgment and strategic decision-making skill; and
- High proficiency in writing, creative thinking, and multi-tasking.
Critical Success Factors:
- Strong Executive Presence – Ability to interact effectively at the highest level of an organization and the savvy to communicate and synthesize complex issues crisply, clearly and convincingly;
- Highly Networked – A skilled internal and external relationship builder, with the ability to construct and maintain strong networks of policy influence within industry and governing institutions;
- Collaborative – A team player who works across boundaries to establish a shared vision and achieve shared goals with flexibility, dedication; Ability to build relationships, trust, and rapport quickly;
- Commercially Adept – Possess an understanding of business strategy and commercial affairs, and an awareness of how policy debates translate into impact on a global business;
- Strategic– Ability to focus on the big picture; and
- Diplomatic – Skilled in negotiating and navigating shifting coalitions with industry peers, within trade associations and other stakeholder groups.