The Vice President of Human Resources provides strategic HR leadership for NBC Owned & Operated Chicago TV Stations (NBC (WMAQ) and Telemundo (WSNS)). Our stations are deeply ingrained in the Chicago neighborhoods and surrounding suburban communities and we are looking for a mission-oriented leader who can recruit, retain, inspire and support people at all levels of their career. This position is at the department head level and reports to the President and General Manager of the stations. These are two stations – one English language and one Spanish language – under one roof working together. The VP of HR, along with the leadership team, supports both stations and the unique characteristics and needs of each.
Who you are:
The ideal candidate will be able to adapt in a rapidly changing media landscape, will demonstrate professional presence and courage, think and act strategically and excel at executing in all HR disciplines. Additionally, the successful VP of HR will be:
- Approachable – a willing and ready resource for the leadership team and employees
- Pro-active – constantly reaching out and anticipating needs
- Resourceful – goal-focused and solution-oriented using the many resources available to the NBCU and NBCU HR Community
- Credible – honest, transparent, and able to deliver results
- Fun – organize, create, assemble opportunities for employees to celebrate success and effort, to motivate and engage, and to recognize contributions
What You’ll Do:
- Drive key HR initiatives across departments, including staffing, performance management, compensation planning, succession planning, training and development, reward and recognition, organizational effectiveness and employee communication
- Identify, select and on-board diverse and world class talent to ensure a dynamic pipeline, extend on-going outreach to potential future hires through career fairs, organizations, events and social media
- Partner with the leadership team and provide HR guidance developing solutions to talent gaps, training needs, cost changes, organizational structures
- Create and execute a comprehensive employee relations strategy including working closely with Labor Relations on collective bargaining issues, resolving grievances, and furthering NBCU’s relationships with its unions
- Find opportunities to grow our employees, developing them to support current and future roles
- Provide coaching and feedback to department leaders, line managers and employees around performance, personal issues, dispute resolution and all areas of employee engagement
- Be a thoughtful leader for the organization and help to drive change within the organization, to include adoption of new technologies, workflows, staffing models, and organization structures
- Communicate company policies, practices, and procedures to employees in a manner that is clear and engaging, and easy to follow
- Foster a positive work environment that encourages all employees to maximize their potential and full use of diverse talents and abilities, extend beyond their comfort zone, take measured risks, look to the future
- Uncover, assess and propose opportunities for HR, as well as operational, process improvements
- Develop a learning and understanding of each role and responsibility supporting the organization and how those roles and responsibilities impact our product
- Lead compliance efforts and training around potential legal risks, OSHA, FCC EEO reporting
- Act as the on-site HR contact for all NBCU/Comcast tenants and studio client
- Confidence as an HR partner, operating independently while also seeking out advice and expertise when needed
- The ability to build a thoughtful HR and employee relations strategy and agenda for the business, and get stuff done
- Great communication skills, comfort in communicating your point of view, selling your ideas, interacting at all levels within the company, and acting as a great spokesperson for the organization, our brands, and the company
- A passion for talent selection and knowledge of recruitment trends and practices, with established networks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development or related field. MBA or master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of professional HR experience
- Demonstrated interpersonal, coaching and facilitation skills
- Minimum 2 years’ experience with a represented workforce and partnering with Labor Relations
Nice to Have:
- Fluent in Spanish – verbal and written. You’ll be helping run a Telemundo station!
- Knowledge and practical application of HR disciplines including Illinois employment labor laws
- Project and process management skills, demonstrated track record of delivering results
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong client support orientation working with all levels of the organization, locally and company wide
- Prior media/television industry experience
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.