NBCChicago.com covers essential local news, culture, entertainment and lifestyle information from the standpoint of a true insider. We are looking for a highly motivated, experienced Digital Content Producer to produce up-to-the-minute, impactful and relevant content for NBCChicago.com, the WMAQ-TV station website and our other digital news platforms. The role combines attention to detail, rapid response and excellent editorial judgment, as well as consistent day-to-day execution and project-management responsibilities. Our candidate must also be a leader for broadcast newsroom collaboration.
- Curate the city site homepage during a key digital daypart. Gather, edit, package and publish local news content on the NBC 5 website, NBC 5 mobile app and social media
- Produce breaking news events across multiple platforms by collaborating with assignment desk, reporters, news staff and independent sources
- Update, monitor and respond as the voice of NBC 5 on social channels
- Use social media to quickly and effectively report news, find news sources and leads for stories, and engage our audience
- Create multimedia content to enhance daily news coverage (i.e. video, live streams, slideshows)
- Produce all news sections of the website, including the homepage, and contribute to local franchises.
- Assist in managing a group of regular contributors to the website
- Coach on-air talent in social media profiles and posts, developing innovative suggestions for increased visibility
- Write text articles, publish video clips from our shows and edit image galleries according to the local editorial voice
- Execute all publishing workflows for video, images and text, including publishing to social media platforms
- Enforce editorial style guides, standards and practices
- Identify buzz-worthy stories of the day and engage our local audience across multiple platforms
- Solicit user-generated content to enhance both on-air and online news coverage
- Coordinate with news producers to cross-promote on-air and online content
- Be an advocate for NBCChicago.com in the newsroom and beyond
- Minimum 4 years of experience as an editor, writer or producer at a major news organization that creates content under continuous deadlines.
- Proven portfolio showcasing strong writing and outstanding overall communication skills.
- Must be willing and able to work weekends and evenings.
- BS/BA degree required, preferably in journalism, political science or English.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered a candidate for this position
- Working knowledge of content management and video editing tools
- Proficient in writing in English and Spanish
- Blogging, wire service, newspaper rewrite or 24-hour cable news background
- Experience with social media, editing video and creating slideshows
- Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment
- Excellent editing, writing and management skills, as well as experience in telling stories through videos, photos and multimedia packages
- Knowledge of the Chicago area and experience in broadcast newsrooms, local news or other news arena is a big plus