To assist in the development and implementation of business communications initiatives that align with the organization’s overall communications, branding and business strategy.
Primary (Essential) Duties
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
- Assist in publicizing and promoting the Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Mercury and Talking Stick Arena and help tell stories through the most appropriate internal and external communications channels.
- Focus on highlighting business functions, including sales, marketing, sponsorship and community initiatives.
- Craft news releases, media advisories, bios, fact sheets, media pitches, talking points and other media materials
- Possess a passion for storytelling and proactively pursue opportunities that spotlight the organization’s objectives
- Identify, develop and pitch business and community-related story ideas to local and national media
- Oversee the development and distribution of internal communications needs
- Build relationships with local and national media, along with influencers and community leaders
- Create and track media coverage and prepare timely reports
- Work closely with other departments to meet company objectives
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent writing skills are a must
- Self-motivated and professional in approach and demeanor
- Problem-solver and critical thinker
- News junkie with a strong working knowledge of communications industry trends and best practices
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced working environment while handling multiple projects and deadlines
- Team-oriented and committed to serving internal and external customers
- Detail-oriented and takes pride in getting it right
- Sense of humor is essential
- Computer skills – Outlook, MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe experience
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Journalism/PR/writing background with 2-3 years’ experience in writing, editing or related position preferred
- Four-year degree in journalism, PR, communications or related field
- Basic knowledge of Phoenix Suns and NBA basketball
- Ability and desire to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Available to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and holidays Overtime hours will be required
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.