University of Nevada, Reno
Lecturer, Spanish (Translation/Interpretation and Spanish for the Professions)
Department: Department of World Languages and Literatures
Department Web Address: https://www.unr.edu/world-languages
Full Time Equivalent: 100
Position Type: Academic Faculty
Tenure Track: Non Tenure Track
The Department of World Languages and Literatures at the University of Nevada, Reno, invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure track, continuing lecturer position in Spanish with a specialization in translation and/or interpretation and an interest in developing the Spanish for the Professions curriculum. Besides offering an array of programs in various languages and opportunities for studying abroad, the department offers students of Spanish opportunities for completing minors in Spanish and translation, a major, and an M.A.
The successful applicant will:
• Teach 12 units per semester (24 units per academic year) or the equivalent consisting of intermediate level Spanish language, composition, translation, interpretation, service-learning, and areas related to Spanish for the professions.
• Three-unit reduction per semester for the first four semesters to develop courses and curriculum for Spanish for the Professions major/minor track.
• Develop and teach courses for the Spanish for the Professions program, which holds the translation program at its core.
• Demonstrate an ability to engage in action research.
• Engage in service-related activities of the department, college, university, community, and profession.
• Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English (equivalent to a “Superior” level on the ACTFL scale).
• M.A. in Spanish or equivalent degree.
• Successful teaching experience.
• Professional experience in translating and/or interpreting.
• Evidence of professional development in the area of expertise (e.g. Translation, Interpretation, Spanish for the Professions, Language for Specific Purposes, etc.).
• Completed coursework in translation, interpretation, language for specific purposes, and/or Spanish for the Professions.
• Previous experience and/or interest in teaching Spanish for heritage language learners.
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence in student-centered teaching.
• Ability to interact effectively with students, colleagues, university administrators, and the community.
Contact Information for this Position: Dr. Tania Leal – Search Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org – (775) 682-8889
Josh Martinmaas – Search Coordinator – email@example.com – (775) 682-6447
Special Instructions to Applicants: The following are required to complete the application:
• a letter of application outlining:
o your qualifications,
o teaching philosophy,
o statement of your plans for program development (for our Spanish for the professions track),
o a brief statement on how you would contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through your research, teaching, and/or service.
• a curriculum vitae/resume;
• evidence of teaching effectiveness; and
• contact information for three professional references.
Finalists must supply unofficial transcripts.
For full consideration, applicant materials must be received by November 3rd, 2017. The search committee will not be conducting interviews at MLA.
Job Open Date: 09/13/2017
Job Close Date: 11/3/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Search Number: 72853
Note to All Applicants: A background check will be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
HR will attempt to verify academic credentials upon receipt of hiring documents. If the academic credentials cannot be verified, HR will notify the faculty member that an official transcript of their highest degree must be submitted within thirty days of the faculty member’s first day of employment.
The University of Nevada, Reno is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its students and employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation, or genetic information, gender identity, or gender expression. The University of Nevada, Reno employs only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1084946
The University of Nevada, Reno is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action in recruitment of its students and employees and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or gender expression. The University of Nevada employs only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. Women and under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.