The deadline for applications is Sunday 3rd March 2023.
Location: United States
Location type: Remote
Reporting to: Vice President Fundraising & Development
Annual salary: $200K – $210K USD
Contract type: Permanent
Working hours: Full-time
Candidate level: Management
President and Mrs. Obama have adhered to one simple yet powerful idea their entire lives: ordinary people working together can change history. Rooted in the example set by the Obamas, the Obama Foundation is the embodiment and continuation of this vision. Through the Obama Presidential Center on the South Side of Chicago and programming across the U.S. and around the world, the Obama Foundation inspires, empowers, and connects people to change their world.
The challenges of our time—an intensifying climate crisis, threats to democracy, systemic inequality—are significant. We believe these problems do not persist because we lack solutions to them, but because we lack the values-driven leadership and democratic culture that can bring solutions to the people and places that need them. To drive meaningful change, we need leaders who can bridge divides and build diverse coalitions as well as a robust civic infrastructure that empowers individuals. Our goal is to create an ecosystem of changemakers and a culture of democratic engagement that will help us work together toward solutions to the biggest challenges facing our world.
To ensure the continued promotion of democracy worldwide and the development of youth leaders in communities in Europe, Africa, Asia and at home in the United States, we are actively seeking a Senior Director of Development, International to lead philanthropic endeavors with international donors, aligning their values with ours.
Purpose of role
Reporting directly to the Vice President of Development, the Senior Director will be part of a core group of senior leaders across the frontline team who are developing and executing a comprehensive fundraising strategy at a critical moment in our development. This is an ideal opportunity for a proven, fearless, creative, and values-driven non-profit leader with management experience who’s highly motivated to drive towards ambitious goals in collaboration with a dynamic and values-driven team.
The Senior Director of Development, International will play a pivotal role in advancing the Foundation's global fundraising efforts leading the Foundation’s work on an international scale and, with a target of $10M in 2024, this role is crucial for the Foundation's long-term sustainability.
The Senior Director will lead strategic fundraising programs outside the United States, primarily concentrating on engagement in Europe, Asia, and Canada. The role involves managing an already existing and warm portfolio of exciting international prospects, including established donors and unfulfilled pledges. This will include cultivating relationships with high-capacity prospects, leveraging a portfolio of 40-50 $1M+ prospects, and tapping into emerging markets with untapped potential.
· Leadership: Partner with the Vice President of Development to develop, implement, execute, and evaluate long-term goals and strategies in your region. Establish supportive and cooperative working relationships with other Senior Directors to share best practices, new ideas, and collaborate on donor cultivation when needed.
· Coaching and management: Hire, train, manage, and develop a small team of fundraising professionals and support staff. Provide guidance and strategic counsel to help advance their portfolios.
· Principal gift portfolio management: Create and lead the strategy for a portfolio of 50+ seven- to eight-figure prospects and develop customized cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each.
· Volunteer engagement: Develop strong partnerships with Board members, members of the Board’s Development Committee, and principals from the Obama network to provide support for their fundraising efforts in your region. Develop strategies for engaging other volunteer fundraisers in peer-to-peer fundraising.
· Philanthropy stewardship: Represent the Development team in external settings, such as conferences and gatherings. Become a content expert on the Foundation’s programs and partner with other teams across the Foundation to help advance a culture of philanthropy.
· Operating effectiveness: Build a culture of Salesforce utilization to track and evaluate the team’s key metrics and use data to continually improve practices and inform decisions.
· Fundraising collateral: Ensure the timely creation and distribution of fundraising and stewardship materials, collateral and briefings, and highly personalized proposals with support from the Development’s Donor Relations team.
· Events: Develop a regular cadence of virtual and in-person events in key markets to identify, cultivate, and steward donors and prospects.
Joining a dynamic and flexible team to inspire, empower and connect to people around the world, the Senior Development Director, International will be equally adaptable and fearless, ready to embrace ambitious goals and drive lasting impact. The Director will bring their creativity and entrepreneurial spirit to the role, demonstrating their deep skill and strong leadership while exploring new ground and forging international partnerships.
Experience and skills
States, with expertise in principal and major gift cultivation and solicitation.
To apply for the post
To apply for this role, please submit a copy of your CV/resume and a cover letter outlining your interest in the role and how you fulfil the requirements set out in the job announcement by clicking on the following link https://recruitcrm.io/apply/17065283414460039649lxC?source=Hispanic
If you have any questions about the role or organisation and would like an informal chat ahead of submitting a formal application, please reach out to Zoe Oldham at firstname.lastname@example.org. An applicant’s pack is also available upon request.
Don’t check off every box in the requirements listed above? Please apply anyway! Studies have shown that marginalized communities - such as women, LGBTQ+ and people of color - are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. The Obama Foundation is dedicated to building an inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible workplace that fosters a sense of belonging – so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to still consider submitting an application. You may be just the right candidate for this role or another one of our openings!
In the interest of employee health and safety during the pendency of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the Obama Foundation is requiring that all prospective employees present proof that they are fully-vaccinated against COVID-19, or seek a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons, prior to their first day of employment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Daryl Upsall International actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. In recruiting candidates, we seek candidates with the proven skills required; irrespective of race, gender, religion or belief, age, disability or sexual orientation.