The Director, Corporate Responsibility & Global Philanthropy (CR&GP) Communications is responsible for developing and executing global communications strategies and programs that enhance AbbVie’s reputation and build trust in its brand, foster confidence in its long-term sustainability, and elevate awareness regarding the purpose-driven programs that advance support and access to communities, employees, and patients. This role reports directly to the Vice President, Corporate Responsibility and Global Philanthropy with a dotted line to the Vice President, Corporate Communications and works closely with the CR&GP Leadership Team as a critical partner to advance the strategic goals of ESG, Global Philanthropy and Patient Access & Independent Education teams.
This position is required to work onsite 3 days/week from AbbVie's Illinois Headquarters in Lake County, IL.
- Serve as the strategic communications partner to the CR&GP organization, including the ESG, Global Philanthropy and Patient Access & Independent Education teams.
- Serve as the chief storyteller for the goals, actions, and impact of the CR&GP organization, identifying stories, proof points and other opportunities to uniquely position and elevate AbbVie’s efforts in a way that enhances reputation, builds trust in the AbbVie brand, and best represents AbbVie’s purpose-driven culture and work.
- Serve as the liaison with Corporate Marketing and Corporate Communications to ensure visibility into ESG and Philanthropy communication strategies and opportunities to ensure effective pull through internally with employees and externally through a multi-channel approach.
- Develop and deliver on strategic media relations plan that help support external communications of key themes and storylines, closely aligned and working with Corporate Media Relations.
- Responsible for the management of the sustainability-related (ESG and Philanthropy) and patient access-related sites on abbvie.com
- Responsible for the development of the ESG communications strategy, working closely with key members across CRBC to ensure alignment, integration, and execution.
- Lead the ESG Communications Governance, working closely across functional communicators to weave in opportunities to elevate ESG messaging and proof points into ELT and functional communication strategies, ensuring consistency and strategic connection across communicators.
- Serve as a business partner to Senior Director, ESG, and to the ESG Council, providing insights, guidance and counsel on the external trends and peer benchmarking as it relates to media coverage and areas of interest or concern of communications’ audiences.
- Elevate awareness of ESG internally at AbbVie through targeted campaigns that help to drive awareness, build a positive culture, and foster action by colleagues.
- Communicate about AbbVie’s ESG strategy through compelling external media relations and storytelling content for use in earned and owned channels.
- Responsible for ESG message map, narrative, affiliate messaging and communications guidance, myAbbVie ESG site, and all additional communications-related materials.
- Development and pull through of narratives around key ESG initiatives and material areas (e.g., net zero, health equity, etc.).
- Responsible for the development of the Global Philanthropy communications strategy, working closely with Director, Global Philanthropy, and their team to understand our philanthropic goals, partners, and impact and translating that into year-long storytelling and reputation-building opportunities.
- Support the building of a clear AbbVie philanthropy narrative that reflects the differentiated vision and focus of the philanthropic organization and effectively drives this as a throughline across all storytelling.
- Deeply understand and proactively find story-telling opportunities to elevate awareness of the impact of AbbVie’s signature philanthropic investments (e.g., Racial Equity program) and employee engagement programs (e.g., week of possibilities)
- Identify and execute on opportunities to educate and engage employees in philanthropic priorities through both leadership and grassroots communications.
- Share externally poignant, impactful updates together with nonprofit partner through shared, owned, earned and social media.
Patient Access & Independent Education
- Collaborate with PA&IE leadership to prepare operational communications for new product and indication launches, process updates, etc., including field messages, HCP-directed materials, etc.
- Collaborate with PA&IE leadership and relevant cross-functional stakeholders (GA, Patient Services, USPA, Legal) to support internal and external communications strategies and messages related to program changes, payer/access dynamics, policy developments, etc.
- Support communications around internal impact reporting and AMT-targeted communications
- Identify patient and NGO-related stories that help to highlight AbbVie’s commitment to advancing patient access through patient assistance, product donation and independent patient and medical education.
Minimum Requirements and Critical Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree (emphasis in communications, marketing, business, public relations, or journalism preferred).
- 10-15 years’ experience in a high-level business or communications environment. Experience supporting corporate responsibility, CSR, corporate philanthropy, CR or ESG communications and healthcare sector experience a plus.
- Extensive experience developing and executing strategies, demonstrating strategic leadership, and serving as a strategic partner to business counterparts; a strategic thinker who can translate complex ideas into execution and deliver results.
- Extensive experience in media relations and external communications and familiarity building multi-channel communications campaigns.
- Track record of developing and executing effective communications campaigns that yield business outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in the successful implementation of employee and internal communications strategies and campaigns.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and comfort forging internal alliances with global colleagues across geographies.
- Exceptional communications skills and the ability to translate impact and opportunities to our business leaders, affiliates, and external stakeholders to enable transparency and demonstrate value.
- Strong external engagement experience, specifically with working with non-profit partners, community non-profits and/or advocacy groups; ability to navigate highly matrixed environments and understand critical cross-functional stakeholders to engage with and support to advance business goals.
- Strong business and financial acumen that drives robust strategies, tactics, and sustainability of the business
- Must be an individual who works well in a team environment and enjoys working in a collegial, yet highly demanding culture. Must be able to work collaboratively with senior business leaders and other internal stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Ability to derive clarity out of ambiguous situations and find creative and differentiated opportunities to elevate brands and reputation.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.