AbbVie seeks a communications manager to drive strategy and execution of communication programs that support the U.S. Neuroscience and Eye Care organization.
Reporting to the Director, U.S. Public Affairs, Neuroscience and Eye Care, the Manager is responsible for leading strategy and execution of external communications programs that advance AbbVie’s Psychiatry and Eye Care franchises. The Manager must possess strong business acumen, be a strategic thinker and execute flawlessly while managing a broad range of internal and external stakeholders across all levels of brand, functional and company management as needed.
This position is required to work hybrid (3 days onsite) from one of AbbVie's following locations: Irvine, CA; Lake County, IL; Madison, NJ.
- Represent U.S. Public Affairs on cross-functional brand teams to ensure external and internal perspective is considered and leveraged in support of business objectives.
- Lead the development of strategic, high-impact Public Affairs plans to support business needs and growth and functional U.S. Public Affairs strategies. Obtain buy-in from functional and commercial leadership and secure budgets. Oversee implementation of tactical program elements and ensure deliverables are met on time and on budget.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of emerging communications trends to maximize program impact, specifically in the area of influencer and digital engagement.
- Possess strong media relations skills to ensure all engagements with reporters are strategic and position AbbVie and the therapeutic franchise in a positive and balanced way.
- Proactively anticipate and mitigate issues that may present reputational risk to AbbVie and brands.
- Oversee the identification and development of internal and third-party spokespeople and prepare them for external speaking opportunities.
- Simplify complex issues through strong verbal and writing capabilities.
- Manage review process for external communications materials (press releases, statements, social/digital content, etc.). Keep various parties apprised of status, timelines and directional shifts to ensure smooth review process and to meet corporate deadlines.
- Consistently share best practices and offer new ideas and thinking to raise the bar for U.S. Public Affairs team.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or Equivalent.
- 5+ years of relevant experience and proven track record of success in developing and executing corporate and/or product communications and/or public relations, including media relations and social media/digital work.
- Experience in the healthcare/bio-pharma industry strongly preferred.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to anticipate company and team needs, including strong understanding of U.S. healthcare system functioning and intricacies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with knowledge of emerging communications trends and technologies.
- Experience in social media, digital and content marketing, and in innovative approaches to communications is required.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Job Grades are determined by the country in which the payroll is based.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced