Provides leadership and oversight for specific lobbying initiatives and activities directed at ensuring the achievement of the legislative goals set by BCBSA relating to federal legislative initiatives. Provides critical leadership and attention in the development, fostering, and reinforcement of productive relationships with all key stakeholders in the political process, especially with Plan personnel/leadership.
- Leads the development, implementation, and management of a strategy to improve the visibility and impact of BCBSA staff and Plans with Senate Offices. This includes ensuring that key Member information is captured and maintained to reflect up-to-date information for easy access and developing/executing a plan to have regular BCBSA Senior management Congressional meetings and high level (e.g., CEO) contacts. It also requires the development, fostering, and strengthening of personal relationships with key Members of Senate and Administration so these relationships can be utilized to deliver and reinforce BCBSA’s position and proactively and positively influence needed action to support BCBSA’s legislative goals.
- Conducts federal lobbying activities with Members of Senate and their offices and the Administration, to effectively monitor and influence and shape legislative and regulatory developments and outcomes. Has overall responsibility for lobbying specific committees and positively influencing individuals and outcomes on BCBSA policy positions. Coordinates activities with all other lobbyists and policy staff to achieve that goal.
- Participates with OPR senior management to set the overall strategic direction for the BCBS legislative agenda. Leads the development and execution of related legislative/lobbying strategies on assigned key issues. This leadership includes participation in developing acceptable legislative positions, devising effective and innovative ideas and initiatives, engaging consulting resources, organizing and managing strategy activities, and driving execution of strategies.
- Develops and implements strategies for the selection and utilization of external lobbying consultants and other resources to support and effectively execute BCBS legislative strategies. Manages the activities of specific consultants, polling them and utilizing their expertise and input on the political landscape to ensure the assimilation of knowledge and understanding of critical information for influencing legislation on behalf of the Association and Plans. Deploys consultants, as appropriate, to lobby and present BCBS messages to key stakeholders and Members.
- Conducts required/effective staff management responsibilities and ensures that all responsibilities are performed in compliance with budget, procurement, and other established BCBSA policies, standards and procedures.
- Demonstrates leadership in developing the legislative and regulatory agenda on an ongoing basis. Monitors and interprets legislative and regulatory events/developments and communicates health care issues, lobbying positions and rationale to Plans, BCBSA officers, and other interested parties in order to maintain system-wide support for Associations legislative strategies. Represents BCBSA, as necessary, at external coalitions, associations, or other forums to present and/or obtain information on issues impacting BCBSA and the System.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Experience creating strategy and setting and meeting related objectives, while reacting within a growing and changing internal and external environment are a must. Demonstrated ability to synthesize complex problems/public policy issues while identifying their related business implications and the actions necessary to advocate a recommended outcome is essential.
- Experience with managing multiple and conflicting business priorities and needs are critical, as are in depth leadership skills for managing both people and projects.
- Experience communicating policy views to Congressional staff and knowledge of the Congressional environment is essential, as well as knowledge of the professional standards for lobbyists.
- Experience in health care industry and the dynamics of the Federal legislative and regulatory environment is essential. This includes extensive exposure to broad-based health care insurance issues including the legislative and political process and environment, and an understanding of the factors affecting legislative policy developments.
- 4-year College Degree.
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- A graduate degree in Political Science, Public Administration, Public Policy, law, business or related field, or equivalent experience preferred. Requires seven years of related experience in a similar environment, preferably with some staff management or team leadership responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected characteristics
Apply for this job onlineEmail this job to a friendShare on your newsfeed
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Click here to get started.Application FAQs