Responsible for the preparation and disbursement of payroll. Responsible for the deductions, remittance, and reporting of federal and state taxes. Responsible for quarter-end and year-end reporting to states and the IRS.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Demonstrates our One Team philosophy of Passion, Accountability, Customer Focus, and Teamwork and contributes meaningfully to building a cohesive, efficient department that serves all customer needs at an exemplary level.
- Process all aspects related to semi-monthly and bi-weekly payrolls for the Houston Rockets and the Toyota Center. Processing includes but is not limited to making sure each employee is paid at the correct rate, has all taxable benefits assigned, deductions taken out, etc. Candidate should have experience with payrolls of at least 500 people per processing. Candidate should have experience with processing ‘in-house’ payrolls. We do not outsource any portion of our payroll processing to an outside vendor.
- Candidate must have experience working with time clock software and understanding how it interfaces with the accounting system used to process payroll.
- Process W-2s at year-end and transmit all related year-end reporting to the IRS and Social Security Administration.
- Process all federal payroll tax returns – 941s and 940s. Process quarterly filing to the Texas Workforce.
- Process all state payroll tax returns and individual state reporting requirements as specified by each state. Candidate must be able to navigate well in Microsoft Excel to calculate taxes due, taxes withheld, taxes paid, allocated wages, etc.
- Process all payroll related deductions, including but not limited to 401k, insurance, child support, tax levies, fines and handle all related inquiries.
- Prepare wire transfer and check request documents and support for all payments required to be made following each payroll including but not limited to payroll taxes to the IRS, withholdings for state taxes and other payments due as a result of deductions.
- Have familiarity with employee benefit packages – 401k, health insurance, etc.
- Assist in the maintenance and execution of all player, coach and staff employment contracts.
- Be able to communicate with player agents and their financial representatives.
- Be able to prepare reconciliations of various payroll data.
- Adhere to and enforce internal controls and policies set by the finance department.
- Maintain all payroll files in a timely and orderly fashion.
- Assist with all audits including preparing the Workers’ Comp audit files for each company and interact with all auditors as needed.
- Prepare team and scouting travel per diem, including taxing the employees.
- Assist in monitoring and resolving all uncashed payroll checks as needed.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification is required.
- Ideal candidate must have at least three years’ experience processing payroll and at least one-year processing state tax returns.
- Knowledge of Great Plains Dynamics system is preferred.
- Knowledge of Greenshades system is preferred.
- Must be of high moral character and be able to keep all information confidential.
- Abilities in Microsoft Excel must be more than beginner level.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks with great attention to detail.
- Able to work in a team environment with exceptional interfacing skills.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Must be able to meet recurring deadlines.
- Must be flexible with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The employee is regularly required to stand, sit, walk, use handle or feel, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, communicate with others.
- The vision requirement includes the ability to review written and electronic materials in both digital and physical format.
- The employee must be able to transfer and move items for departmental needs.
- The employee must be able to adjust to changing work hours and locations as needed in light of the strong focus on external communications and relationships.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.