We are hiring!
Do you want to make a big impact on the lives of kids, schools, families, and communities? Do you dream of being in a job that enables you to collaborate with others to implement change and make a difference? If so, this is your chance to make that dream come alive! Read on because Action for Healthy Kids® (AFHK) is looking for some awesome talent to join our team as a Grant Writer, based in Chicago, IL.
YOU: What is the opportunity?
The Grant Writer plays a key role in the success of Action for Healthy Kids by generating proposals to new and existing corporate, foundation, and government sources. This position will lead, implement, and manage the proposal writing process. The Grant Writer plays a key role in the success of AFHK by producing proposals that will drive the organization’s philanthropic and other resource development partnerships. You get to use your talent as a top-notch writer, joining a talented team that drives our philanthropic and other resource development activities forward to generate support for the health of the whole child.
Who are we?
Action for Healthy Kids is a national non-profit organization raising the bar on the health of the whole child to extraordinary levels across the country. AFHK mobilizes school professionals, families and communities to take actions that lead to healthier children. We partner with dedicated volunteers— teachers, students, moms, dads, school wellness experts and more—from within the ranks of our 140,000+ constituency to create healthy environments for kids. We are committed to impacting holistic changes with a focus on serving students from underserved communities. Our new, exciting strategic plan will guide our work over the next ten years as our small but mighty team tackles some of the most important issues facing our kids. Please visit us at www.ActionforHealthyKids.org.
What you’ll do as our Grant Writer:
• Implement full range of activities required to prepare, write, submit and manage grant proposals to new and existing corporate, foundation, and government funding sources
• Conduct prospect research to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward a new pipeline of corporate, foundation and government funding opportunities
• Work collaboratively and cross-functionally regarding the creation, ideation, and submission of concepts (letters of intent), proposals, and grantor reports
• Manage the proposal submission process for assigned proposals to ensure timely submission of all required materials, including maintaining grants calendar to include new application and reporting deadlines
• Enter gifts into Salesforce and send donor acknowledgements
• Ensure that interaction with assigned prospects and grantors are documented properly in our development and operational systems
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required
• A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in prospect research and grant writing within the nonprofit sector (national organization a plus) with a track record of securing grant awards over $50,000
• Clear, precise, and compelling writing skills
• School health, public health, K-12 education, non-profit, and/or related experience preferred
• Detail-oriented, organized, and deadline-driven
• Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently with purpose and accuracy in a fast-paced environment
• High proficiency in all areas of Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Salesforce
What’s in it for me?
• Medical/dental/vision insurance • Short- and long-term disability insurance • Life and AD&D insurance • Flexible spending
• 403b (match up to 4%)
• Generous PTO, summer hours and paid paternity/maternity/adoption leave
• Professional development opportunities
• Fundraising goal/bonus plan
The Grant Writer’s annual fundraising goals will be established in collaboration with the Senior Director of Development. As an extra incentive, Action for Healthy Kids provides a customized bonus plan for each Development employee, based on staff members exceeding their pre-established goals.
Job Location: Chicago-area preferred, but open to consider full-time remote in other metro market.
To apply, please submit a resume, a thoughtful cover letter describing your interest in AFHK and how your past experience has prepared you for this role, and at least one writing sample to email@example.com with “Grant Writer” in the subject line.
Action for Healthy Kids is an equal opportunity employer.