The Director of Sales is responsible for managing the sales strategies of a multiple media portfolio. Leading a team of sales managers and account executives, the Director will create a culture of cross-platform and cross-product selling including WSB TV, digital sub channels, OTT, multiple digital products, and NTR events. The Director will develop strategies with a sharp customer focus and consistently deliver on revenue expectations with a focus on profitability. The Director is responsible for the attainment of the revenue goals and must display entrepreneurial skills in creating new linear and digital revenue opportunities. He or she is also responsible for development and implementation of a strategic plan to guide the sales departments to successfully attain revenue goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- The Director of Sales will be responsible for the development of cross-product sales strategies and ad products to reach expected revenue levels while meeting market demands. Using creativity, business basics and customer knowledge, the Director will lead a team to develop customized solutions for new and existing customers.
- This position requires an innovative sales leader with a demonstrated ability to find creative solutions that meet the demands of advertisers. This role also requires the ability to define and build an organizational structure to support the defined sales and revenue objectives.
- Supervises National and Local Sales, Digital Sales, Business Development managers and Studio 2 solutions. Using an integrated sales strategy, training and expectations developed by the Director and executed via the sales leadership team and account managers. Also included are the administrative responsibilities involved in the hiring, training, evaluation, and discipline of the personnel under these managers.
- As part of managing overall performance, the Director will work with the Sales Managers to develop motivational methods of achieving revenue goals. Responsible for providing weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports, including revenue projections, end of month performance summary by category, sales executive and strategy.
- Will also participate in annual revenue budgeting and analysis. Analyzing National and Local economic conditions to forecast the short- and long-term station revenue goals. Budget and forecast operational and expense budgets for all sub-departments, maintained on a monthly and annual basis.
- Establishes the rate structure for the station to achieve the revenue goals as forecast. Oversee sales managers optimization of inventory management for revenue maximization of spot time sales and sets product and program rates/packaging accordingly.
- Responsible for pricing and inventory control by maintaining a constant evaluation of all economic factors pertaining to the competition and to market conditions.
- Oversee sales managers optimization of inventory management for revenue maximization of spot time sales and sets product and program rates/packaging accordingly.
- Communicates inventory, sales and packaging strategies to sales managers.
- Manages account lists to maximize sales resources against market potential.
- Creates and develops new revenue streams as product and service opportunities present themselves.
- Ensures station is in full compliance of FCC rules and regulations.
- Ensures station is compliant in keeping the Public File up to date, especially with respect to Political orders and documentation.
- Ensures Political rate card is updated and kept current.
- Develops and implements sales processes to provide for smooth and timely workflow throughout the sales process including traffic, production, promotions, accounting and programming.
- Identifies and eliminates barriers to the sales process between account manager and client.
- Ensures sales tools are utilized to maximum advantage in the marketplace for positioning and sales cultivation.
- Facilitates and builds positive collaborative relationships between the Sales Departments and other Cox Media Group departments and divisions.
- May perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Prior Director of Sales experience is strongly preferred Minimum of seven (7) years media sales management experience – preferably in broadcast TV sales- as either a General, Local, and/or National Sales Manager in a large market is required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years media sales experience.
- Proven Sales leadership, teamwork, and project management
- Proven selling skills for television mediums and in sales negotiation.
- Proven presentation and public speaking skills required.
- Proven verbal, writing, mathematical, reading and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, and commissions.
- Proven Knowledge of Excel, Windows and media software such as Wide Orbit, Marketron, Media Monitors, Miller Kaplan X-ray and RAB Account Manager.
- Proven and specific understanding of television programming, production, delivery and research.
- Proven and specific business experience and knowledge of related advertising businesses.
- General knowledge of technical aspects of television
- Willingness and ability to join organizations to enhance the image and recognition of Cox Media in the marketplace.
- Experience in driving regional and national business.
- Must have proven history of creativity and flexibility with a positive attitude.
- Must be able to get along and collaborate with others is an essential function of the job
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Leadership: Provides leadership and coaching of a talented Sales team to excel; sets high standards and performance expectations; operates as a player/coach; has a passion for mentoring and growing talent.
- Decision Making: Anticipates, identifies and understands problems and opportunities by gathering, analyzing and interpreting quantitative and qualitative information; choosing the best course of action by establishing clear decision criteria, generating and evaluating alternatives, and making timely decisions; taking action that is consistent with available facts and constraints and optimizes probable consequences.
- Establish Strategic Direction: Establishes and commits to a long-term business direction based on an analysis of systemic information and consideration of resources, market drivers, organizational values, and emerging economic, technological and regulatory conditions.
- Customer Focus (Internal and External): Effectively meet customer needs; building productive customer relationships; take responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Gaining Commitment: Use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modify one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals involved.
- Innovation and Risk-Taking: Generate innovative solutions in work situations, trying different and novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities
- Building Partnerships: Identify opportunities and take action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and others areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Communication: Clearly convey information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
- Project Management: Monitor the results of delegations, assignments, or projects, considering the skills, knowledge, and experience of the assigned individual and the characteristics of the assignment or project.
- Formal Presentation: Present ideas effectively to individuals or groups; deliver presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to handle or feel objects and/or type; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop; kneel; or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Reliable mode of transportation (public transportation is not suitable.)
- Occasional night and weekend work are required.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Considerable amount of time spent traveling to sales rep offices around the country. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.