For more than 85 years, the Metropolitan Planning Council (MPC) has guided towards a better, bolder, more equitable future for everyone. We do that by partnering with businesses, communities and governments to address the area’s toughest planning and development challenges. MPC is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan organization with an established track record of high-quality research, advocacy and demonstration projects to help our region and its local communities thrive. MPC works to solve today's urgent problems—with a focus on government effectiveness, vibrant neighborhoods, quality housing and transportation choices, and well-managed natural assets—and we think ahead to prepare the region for the needs of tomorrow.
With a professional staff of 26 and growing, several Senior Fellows and a team of Research Assistants/Interns, MPC’s 2020 budget is $5.8 million. More information on MPC can be found online at: https://www.metroplanning.org.
MPC is hiring a full-time marketing associate who be responsible for coordinating communications for the organization. The Marketing Associate will support Director of Marketing and Communications and the Content Strategist in content creation, campaign implementation, digital strategy, and other duties as necessary.
Excellent writing and project management skills are required. The position will report to MPC Director of Marketing and Communications Angel Leveston and will work closely with program staff.
Primary responsibilities may include:
- Drives social media strategy and embodies organizational voice via online channels (Twitter, Facebook).
- Supports MPC’s content strategy in creation of digital materials, including blog posts, video/audio content, infographics and other materials that exemplify our work.
- Maintains analytics, dashboards, and supports communications systems.
- Supports organization events by creating marketing materials, implementing communications strategies to help build audience, and executing day-of logistics.
- Provides graphic design support, creating and editing basic materials as needed.
- Supports media outreach by creating press materials and fielding calls as needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
MPC seeks an organized, high-energy individual who thrives in a collegial work environment and can juggle multiple deadlines at once. The ideal candidate holds a BA in communications, marketing, public relations or related field and has 1-2 years relevant work experience.
A qualified candidate:
- is an excellent writer and has experience developing content on a wide range of platforms;
- has experience working on CMS platforms, and with other marketing and communications tools including Mailchimp and Adobe Creative Suites;
- is an analytical and creative thinker able to help expand audience engagement;
- is a self-starter, able to prioritize, handle concurrent tasks and projects, and work in a fluid environment;
- is able to communicate directly and work collaboratively with staff colleagues;
- is passionate about the issues that MPC addresses and committed to supporting the organization’s mission, as well as developing her/his competency in diversity, equity and inclusion;
- is willing to navigate uncertainty and challenge assumptions and status quo thinking in a productive manner;
- is an excellent writer, and an articulate speaker in a range of settings;
- is entrepreneurial, and executes timely and skillfully on assigned work; and
- enjoys a fast-paced, intellectually-stimulating workplace.
MPC has a values-driven workplace and we are seeking candidates with a demonstrated commitment to—and willingness to have active conversations about—creating a region that is:
- Equitable: For MPC, equity means that every individual and community in our region has the opportunities they need to thrive. Promoting equity means that we recognize the harm that discrimination and racism have caused and continue to pose to our lives and neighborhoods. That’s why we drive policies, investments and ideas that ensure all current and future residents can reach their full potential.
- Prosperous: For MPC, prosperity means that both the Northeastern Illinois region and all of its people are economically healthy and prepared for growth. MPC is focused on ensuring that everyone who lives and works in our region can provide for themselves and their families. We support commitments that bring resources, development, and fairly paid and quality jobs to all communities.
- Sustainable: For MPC, sustainability means that our region meets the natural, human and financial needs of the present while improving conditions for future generations. MPC’s agenda supports ecological vitality, residents’ health and economic stability for the long term, and ensures that as things change, our region adapts.
- Engaged and Responsible: For MPC, civic participation and effective government are cornerstones of our region’s viability. We drive policies that strengthen the participation and impact of residents in local and regional decisions. We also promote adaptive, collaborative, just and transparent governance at all levels.
How to apply:
Please send the following materials by email to:
Skyler Larrimore, firstname.lastname@example.org
1) A letter detailing how your experience relates to the job being filled;
2) Your résumé
3) A short writing sample (2-3 pages); and
4) Three references
No phone calls please.
For more information on MPC, please visit our website: www.metroplanning.org
MPC is an equal opportunity employer.