Loyola University Chicago seeks a skilled copywriter who can successfully engage prospective students, alumni, donors, and key constituents with multi-channel promotional materials that articulate our brand and the value of a Loyola education. In partnership with the art director, the copywriter will be a vital member of the creative team working in close collaboration with enrollment marketing, advancement, deans, and University partners. From creative brief through ideation, the copywriter will create compelling, error-free copy that grabs the attention of target audiences and moves them to the desired action(s). Our ideal candidate is creative, motivated, collaborative, inspiring, detail-oriented, and deadline-driven.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Helps to promote the University to prospective students by preparing copy for University recruitment ads and publications as well as scripts for audio and video channels.
• The copywriter’s job is to create the best copy for every execution, selecting the right tone, style, structure and voice based on audience, usage, space, strategy, media and brand considerations.
• Produces and edits copy for digital marketing ads, emails, and landing pages
• Helps to promote the University to alumni, donor, and external audiences by preparing copy for University advancement publications.
• Assists in the gathering, writing, and editing of material for University publications and ensures accuracy and completeness of the final product.
• Researches creative trends in the marketplace and applies that knowledge to University brand messaging.
• Assures the production of material is consistent with established guidelines by organizing materials and completing writing assignments in accordance with set standards regarding order, conciseness, style, and terminology.
• Assures consistency with standards by editing, standardizing, or making changes to material prepared by other writers or other personnel.
• Develops content for publication by conferring with University clients.
• Maintains project management files and other records, working with other staff members as part of a team to facilitate the reuse and storage of electronic document files, and assisting in the supervision of an office staff of editorial graduate assistants and student employees.
• Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
• Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by their manager.
• Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Marketing and Communications by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Advertising or related field or equivalent combination of education and years of experience.
• Three years of work experience in a professional writing position in a marketing environment or a creative setting is required.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required, especially an ability to write for external channels.
• Strong proofreading and editing skills are required.
• Organizational and planning skills are required. The ability to effectively manage a high volume of complex projects is required.
• Ability to collaborate with teams consisting of writers, designers, photographers, and clients is required. Knowledge of word processing is required.
• Ability to establish an independent view and effectively collaborate in decision making with cross-functional partners.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities with professionalism and flexibility in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
• Ability to embrace, promote, and articulate the University’s Jesuit Catholic mission and identity